10 Steps to Owning a Home:
1. Ready or Not? Ask yourself a few simple questions. Have I saved some money for a down payment and closing costs? Am I ready to take on the responsibility of owning and maintaining a home?
2. Hire a REALTOR Buying a home is one of the largest investments of your life. When you hire an agent to work as your Buyer’s Agent you have the peace of mind that someone is looking out for your best interest.
3. Loan Pre-Approval: Talk to a professional about financing. You will need to know what your closing costs will be, how much of a down payment will you need, what will be your monthly payment for principal, interest, taxes and insurance.
4. Look at Homes: Once you know in what price range to look, it’s time to talk to your agent about school district, amenities, number of bedrooms and bathrooms, etc. Your agent will schedule appointments and take you into the properties you’ve chosen to look at.
5. Choosing the Right House: Once inside the home look for the space and amenities that matter to you.
6. Make an Offer: Once you’ve decided on the right house, it’s time to put your offer in writing and your agent will advise you on best price and terms, present your offer to the seller or seller’s agent and negotiate on your behalf.
7. Satisfy Contingencies such as applying for a mortgage, having a home inspection.
8. Get Insurance. You will need homeowners insurance to protect your new asset.
9. Final Walk Through is held 24 hours before closing at which time you will make sure all things are in the condition as when you wrote your offer.
10. Closing: Typically the buyer, seller, agents and attorneys for each party attend the closing. During the closing you will be signing final loan documents and taking title to the property.